Full-Stack Software Engineer (Ruby on Rails)
Mixlr makes live audio simple.
Our cross-platform tools enable anyone to be live ‘on-air’—whether they’re broadcasting from the studio or on the move.
Founded and built by software engineers, Mixlr is well-placed to push the frontiers of audio live-streaming. Additionally, Mixlr is backed by some of the UK’s leading VCs and angels in the digital media and tech ecosystem.
We’re a smart, friendly bunch and we’re searching for people with a similar mindset to propel forward together.
Find out more about why you should join at careers.mixlr.com.
Our Technology Stack
- Application: Ruby on Rails, Sinatra, EventMachine, Liquidsoap, jQuery, Backbone
- Database: PostgreSQL, Redis
- Automation: Puppet, Terraform
- Infrastructure: AWS (EC2, ECS, EKS, S3, RDS, CloudWatch) and OVH
The Role (Permanent)
We’re looking for an experienced software engineer to help drive development of the exciting new features lined up, while contributing a positive impact on process and how we develop at Mixlr.
You’ll work across Mixlr’s stack, developing and maintaining effective and robust code and APIs, contributing to and validating new product ideas, designing new solutions and constantly striving to improve the standards we set as an engineering team.
We believe in encouraging autonomy and self-organisation, and you will own your code from design to deployment phase and beyond. To support this, we implement automatic testing for everything we can, and place a high importance on building ourselves the best internal monitoring tools possible. You will also be encouraged to make decisions and get involved in areas beyond engineering so there will be plenty of opportunities to grow your skill set.
Working at Mixlr is challenging and hugely rewarding, with millions of users relying on your code each month. We’re hooked on translating complex structures and workflows into a simple and elegant process; impassioned by our customers’ response and feedback; and dedicated to building great products.
As we build the future of live audio, this role will be central to achieving our goals.
Key Responsibilities (What You'll Be Doing)
- Build scalable and sustainable RESTFul APIs, deploy and maintain them effectively
- Create, test (TDD) and document whilst managing workflow in Github
- Operate across our tech stack, debugging problems from UI to backend systems
- Develop high-quality software design and architecture
- Test and deploy programs and systems
- Fix and improve existing services
- Ensure the highest levels of systems and infrastructure availability
Core Skills (What We Want to See)
- Fluent with Git
- Familiar with AWS ecosystem
- In-depth understanding of object-oriented programming
- Conscious about the security implications of running web applications
- Analytical mind with problem-solving aptitude
- Proactiveness, good communication and willingness to grow as an engineer
- Self-driven, open to collaboration and able to work independently
Knowledge & Experience
- BA/BSc degree, or prior relevant engineering experience: 3+ years of experience building consumer-facing web applications at scale
- Skilful with service-oriented or microservice architecture
- Experience with Docker and Kubernetes
- Experience with audio or video processing is a plus!
- A high level of autonomy — we’re flexible with working hours, and empower you to follow your instincts
- An open, welcoming and fun work environment
- A great office neighbouring other creative residents, plus spectacular rooftop terrace and bar situated in the heart of East London
- Competitive salary and equity package
- Choice of hardware
- A regular slot on our in-house radio station
- Friday beers, sometime featuring tech talks, knowledge-shares or team side projects
- Quarterly kick-off events